Thursday, March 29, 2012

Things I've Learned Since Brayden Arrived

First and foremost: my nephew got to go home today!!!! So happy! Congrats to them all!

I was asked a few days ago if I could talk for 5-10 minutes at our Relief Society thing about how my relationship with my husband has changed since we had Brayden (he is the oldest child in the ward). I've been thinking about what I can say... I keep coming back to two things. Communication and how much the baby has been a blessing to our relationship. Sure there have been changes and challenges, but we have had to be more deliberate when it comes to our relationship which has, in turn, has brought our priorities back into focus. I'll keep you posted on what I actually say... :)

Life has changed a lot in the last year. It hasn't all been easy, but I wanted to record some of my experiences and this seems like a good time...

How having a baby has changed my life:

1. I see the world through new eyes. Brayden experiences new things every day and it is all exciting and fantastic to him. Life is much happier when you rejoice in the many things you can learn every day. Each day brings a new adventure, embrace it, enjoy it, and bring it on!!!

2. Showing emotion is not weakness. Brayden is not afraid to show you that he is happy, excited, tired, angry (we love that particular face...), or upset. Things would be so much easier if we just opened up and let people know what we really feel about things. No guessing involved.

3. I know more than I thought I did. Before Brayden arrived I wasn't sure I was smart enough to be a mother. How do I know what he needs to eat? What about getting him to sleep? What happens when he gets sick? Just a few of many questions I had (and still have sometimes). As it turns out, that "mother's intuition" is quite the phenomenon and I am a believer. My confidence in that I know what is good for my child increases daily.

4. Time is precious. Babies grow fast and time flies! Enjoy each and every day, even the frustrating ones. Also, nap time is precious. Its a chance to do what you need and do what you want. Balance it so you can enjoy some time to yourself.

5. "Mommy Guilt" is real. For me it started during pregnancy. I felt guilty that I couldn't cook or do dishes and laundry without throwing up. My husband had to pick up the slack and I felt guilty that I couldn't do my "duties" as a wife. Needing help caused me all sorts of guilt. After all, I'm supposed to be able to take care of my house, husband, baby, and myself or I'm a failure right? Wrong. So I have learned (and am still learning) the art of not feeling guilty and accepting help when I need it.

There are so many more things that I have learned from Brayden. This post is getting long enough. More to come. :) Thanks for listening!





1 comment: