Friday, July 20, 2012

Deborah

Coincidence? It was too perfect for that."Divine intervention seems to fit the bill today... I'd like to call it a "tender mercy," but honestly, it wasn't so tender today... merciful? Probably. What on earth am I talking about? Well, where do I begin?

This particular intervention has come over the past few weeks. My most amazing friend invited me to attend a class at the local institute with her for the summer "semester." Anyone is welcome to register, so we decided we would take "Women in the Scriptures" together. What a blessing this has been in my life. I owe a lot to that dear friend... (more than just this I assure you.)

I have learned a lot already in this class. The past few classes we have talked about trials and how we can make it through them by reading the examples of these incredible women. Today we talked about Deborah the judge of Ephraim (Judges 18-25 roughly). What an interesting story. I seriously does make a great read... but the message was for me today, and I didn't even know it yet. 

The class ended in the early afternoon. My mother was willing to watch Brayden which allowed me to give my full attention to the message. We discussed how Deborah was sought for her wisdom and faith in God. She addressed Barak with a question, calling him out. When he told her that he would go to war if she would come with him, she said, "surely I will go..." She knew that God would deliver their enemies to them should they remain righteous. 

What an incredible faith. She showed immense support to Barak in his time of need. As a wife I can provide that same type of support and faith for my husband. I can remind him that God will take care of us, even if it looks like we are outnumbered (so to speak).  It was an uplifting class (as usual) and my friend and I discussed it (among other things) on our way home. 

A few hours later I received some... less-than-exciting news from my husband. Initially... I was less than Deborah-like. I retaliated with a bit of anger (I admit it). But after having a little while to cool off, the lesson from earlier today kept going through my head. I realized that this stress was worse for my poor husband who was trying to decide whether or not "to go to battle" (figuratively, of course). He needed a Deborah and God knew that, I knew that. And so... am I a modern day Deborah? I sure hope so... at least a little more than yesterday... 

Thanks be to God for the many blessings in my life. Thanks to a strong and courageous husband, father, and patriarch of our home. These two men are my providers and will forever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment