Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Luck o' the Asian?



Top O' the Mornin' to Ya! Yesterday is the day the Irish celebrate the death of their St. Patrick. He was one that is said to be the one to purge the country of pagans. But has more recently become a great excuse to drink a lot... (Not here at the Y though! We're still running as longest in the "Stone-cold sober" titles 11 years running now! :D )Isn't this a great holiday? I mean what could be better than celebrating my favorite color! Plus, it makes a great excuse to dye your food fun colors... :D

All of my life I have celebrated St. Patrick's Day with green food, usually green milk in the morning (those mischievous little leprechauns) and pinching plots a plenty. This may have something to do with the elementary school teacher I claim as my mother... This year's celebration was a little... OK,very unconventional for me but was absolutely wonderful!

Monday for FHE we had the "family" over to our apartment for a green feast! It is also our month to have an activity with the Bishop and his family. So we invited them to join us as well! We had a pretty good turn out. The Bishop was impressed with my green food-making ability. There was green pasta, green Alfredo sauce, green butter, the boys brought bread and cucumbers for a side, and for desert we had green party cake and donut holes (these were not green... unfortunately...) This was the kick-off to what seemed like a normal St. Patty's day... or so I thought...

Midnight came around, and since we are college students... all of us were still awake and goofing off. :) (we only goof of at midnight though... we really are very studious... ;] ) I pinched a couple of my roomies who weren't wearing green and then made my way to bed. I did promise my roommates that I would not dye their milk green for their breakfast in the morning... a little disappointing but I was planning a green party and didn't want to use up all my food coloring. I woke up and dressed in green.

At 5:45 we (meaning the roommates and a few others) had reservations at "Spicy Corea" here in Provo. It was Cody's birthday and we were there to surprise him. He served his mission in Korea and loves the food from there. So where else would you celebrate an Irish holiday but at a Korean restaurant?! I told myself that I would try anything that was included in my dinner... it was a little worrisome... I was told that the kimchee (spinach boiled in a special Korean spice) was absolutely amazing but i thought it was a little slimy. The rest of the food was fantastic! I actually really like it and find it more exciting than Chinese (although I only know that American Chinese stuff...). I did draw my line at anything that used to swim... Alyssa, who was sitting next to me, had ordered Korean pizza. It had squid, octopus, and crab in two thin layers of ... dough... in the middle of the meal she pulled out a whole, little octopus with tentacles still attached... and popped it into her mouth... lets just say that I was glad that wasn't placed in front of me... :) Julie is very happy that we enjoyed it because I'm sure we'll be eating there again rather soon!



The party at our place was a hit and despite the green queso dip (yes it was a questionable color for queso...) everything was eaten and we got to watch the traditional Darby O' Gill and the Little People to finish off the night. :) So an adventure to note and a new culture celebrated. Who knows, maybe I am growing up after all! ;D

4 comments:

  1. I am soooo proud. I have taught you well. (although you have taken the green food to an all new level) I didn't even buy green bread this year.

    Way to be brave at the restaurant-my baby is growing up! (although I would never be the same if I saw someone eat an octopus)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did try to turn the toilet water green... but it didn't work... I did something wrong. Maybe next year... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm truly impressed. Who said you need alcohol to have fun.

    Green is my favorite color too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should talk to John. He LOVES octopus!

    ReplyDelete