Thursday, April 9, 2009

Major Decisions and the Final Answer

As a student one is faced with all sorts of challenging decisions each and every day... What will I wear today? Will this be on a test? Will the slides be posted online or do I need to copy them word for word? What shall I eat? Can I afford that? Will I do my homework tonight?... The list can go on and on. It is amazing that we don't fall over with exhaustion by mid-day... (this usually happens around... mid-night...)

One of the biggest challenges for me has been what to do with my life. I have wanted to be a high school history teacher since I was a sophomore in high school... and when I got to BYU I immediately declared a history teaching major. I quickly ran into some obstacles in the advisement center and I couldn't figure out what I needed to do. Then one fateful day I sorta stumbled across another major that will encompass more things and will make me more marketable as a teacher looking for a job... it is a composite major meaning I get to taste a little bit of a lot of different things. Teaching Social Sciences means that I will be able to teach not only history but government and citizenship, sociology, psychology, and geography. I was very excited about the news and have worked these past two semesters to catch up on the classes I need to apply for the program. This semester especially...

I have now, as of today, officially changed majors. According to the university now I am a pre-teaching social sciences major (as I have not been accepted into the program yet...) it was very exciting. I filled out this little card and then she put into a box... yeah... I know, how can I stand the excitement? :) I am now on a track toward a composite teaching degree. There still stands the question, what happens if I am not accepted? there are two options... spend another year getting other classes out of the way or change the major once again... this is something that I am not taking lightly... but I know that Heavenly Father is watching out for me and has my best interests and the interests of my future loved ones at heart.

The semester draws to a close in just a few short days and I prepare to take the dreaded finals... My fingers are crossed and my prayers are sent to heaven for a successful finals week. I hope to pull of some fairly decent grades this time... I am a horrible test taker and the testing center doesn't help... I have 5 tests this semester and 3 of these are scheduled from 11:00-2:00. At least they are all on separate days... but they will be long ones! But as my New Testament professor says, "you don't need luck, you need knowledge."

The best of knowledge to all y'all that have tests to work on as well. And for those who don't... please keep us students in your prayers... they would be greatly appreciated!!! Here's to a great end of the school year!!!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your finals. Kevin and Tammy are gearing up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You will make a great teacher. (It's in your blood.)

    And, Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you. You are a big girl now. How does it feel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel all growed up and a little overwhelmed... but life is great... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica,
    I still can't believe that little girl that I had so much fun with is now a young woman and still just as much fun. I hope finals are great. I know you're going to do well in life.
    Love Linda

    ReplyDelete