Friday, March 5, 2010

*sigh* My heart doth flutter with the thought...


One of my more labor intensive classes this semester (and reason for most of my homework and tests) is the "fun" one I chose to take this semester. Yes, it does fulfill a requirement, and it is possibly on of my favorite classes I have taken. History of Apparel. *sigh* For any who know me, the name of the class alone speaks volumes about my personality.

How can a class be get any better than the professors introduction that she love to re-enact? Upon discovering the re-enacting in your past, we instantly found a connection... she is currently getting me the information of the group she re-enacts with and I am rather excited. Another plus is that there are only 15 girls in the class... which makes for a fun time...

Just when you thought it couldn't get better... it does.. (I know you are all sitting at the edge of your seats!) We spend lecture going over slides and pictures so that we can understand the history behind fashions, and memorize the endless terms for different parts of clothing. Sounds fun, no?

We spent one lecture while studying ancient middle eastern fashions of wrapping (Egypt, Mesopotamian, Greek, and Roman) with bed sheets. We were practicing the different wrapping techniques of these great ancient civilizations... then we had a mini fashion show... did you know the roman togas wrapped in a way to create two pockets?! I didn't until it was on me... :)


I am totally loving this "pumpkin" brays look... :)

We have made it through the middle ages of Europe when it is considered that fashion really started... and now through the American Revolution... which brings us to my personal favorite period... the 19th century! *girlish giggle* With each picture I want a new dress... the Romantic era is to die for... the Crinoline period is the one I have lived in... and we are about to enter into the bustle period next week. :D

During the very first class our professor told us about the historical clothing collection that BYU has. Its basically made up of historical originals for the students to study the construction and techniques used historically. She told us that one day this semester we might be able to go down there... (she also mentioned that there is an original Union jacket and cap from the Civil War... which of course made me weak in the knees)



Now for my favorite parts... The other day she brought up one of the original dresses that dated back to the 1840s. I washed my hands and was able to touch the fabric and look at the lining, stitching, and... everything. It was absolutely plain but the fabric was extremely light and airy... much more so than today's cotton... I now more fully understand the need for multiple petticoats as their dresses were rather see-through...

Then, to make things even better, she brought her copies of the Godey's Lady's Book (1842), and Peterson's Lady's magazine (1865)... original fashion magazines of the time... their pages so fragile, the fashion plates still in tact... the stories worded so eloquently... I was tempted, oh so tempted, to just... borrow it for a while to read all the way through it... but alas, my conscious won out.

So there you go, a positively excited post regarding my most passionate subject in life...

3 comments: