Sunday, July 4, 2010

Celebrate Your Freedom!

I have spent some time considering freedom today... perhaps a little differently than I have in the past. I realize that I am so incredibly blessed to live the life I do. I do not worry about my life and I am able to worship how I see fit. The modern-day conveniences that surround us are abundant and, I admit, taken for granted.

There has been a lot of struggle and suffering for the life I live today, and it all began with the inspired words of Thomas Jefferson, 185 years ago. The famous, elegant words that began the began the American experiment that changed the course of world history.

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, ...We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

I have found a rare video of Thomas Jefferson and the other founding fathers as they were drawing up the document. And I have decided to share it with all of you!





Its a little silly and outright bizarre at the end, but it made me giggle a little. Honestly, the historian in me did curl up inside and cringe while watching this.. but for some reason I love this video. For more information about the group that did this you can go here.

In all seriousness, to the men we call our "Founding Fathers" I give my thanks, for the sacrifices and genius you invested into this magnificent country. To the men and women since 1776 who have served to make this country better, safe, and free, thank you! And to a loving God who saw fit to create this "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave" and institute a government led for the people, by the people, I wish to also publicly express my thanks.

I stand for the flag of the United States, I believe that "in God we trust", and I believe that "united we stand, divided we fall." Celebrate Independence Day and never forget the marvelous blessing it is to live in the United States of America.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughts!

    There is a wonderful musical entitled "1776" that you would enjoy if you ever get a chance to see it. The play was filmed as a movie that is pretty good but the play itself was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute you paid with wonderful words that I couldn't even express. I am also so grateful to be an American. As we look back it goes even back to Book of Mormon times that they were fighting for their freedom. I Love This Heavenly God Blessed Country.

    ReplyDelete