Friday, November 12, 2010

The Golden Family Tree


One day my father took me into the forest behind our house. We walked for what seemed like forever. During the walk I saw so many beautiful trees. There were flower trees, fruit trees, bronze, and silver trees... As we came to the center of the forest we stopped at a breathtaking golden tree. It sparkled in the sunlight and I couldn't believe something so beautiful existed. My father explained to me that this was our family tree. Each leaf on this tree represented a member of my family. It was now my job to take care of the tree and protect it from anyone who might want to hurt our tree. It was important that I not show anyone where our tree was, should anything happen to it, bad things could happen.

Who should show up the next day but the... lumberjack... that's right! The LUMBERJACK!!! For some reason he was determined to find and cut down my family tree. (Rude, I know.) He threatened me and I found myself in the forest trying to trick him into cutting down any other tree... but he figured out what tree was mine. I was frantic. He told me that he would give me three days to decide who to save... My father explained to me that if I picked a leaf to replant those people could be saved, but the ones to die on the tree would disappear and it would be as though they did not even exist. I could only choose 4 leaves. What a terrible responsibility for a 16 year old girl!

Who would you choose? Who in your family deserves to be saved? Lucky for me, I woke up and my family was all safe... but what if? The reality of my life is that I have  been instructed to take care of my family "tree". By finding and doing the work for my ancestors I can cultivate my golden tree and save those in my family from the terrible fate of the lumberjack.

We are happy to share our experiences with you as we learn about our family and how to find the information that can be useful for your own family trees. We hope you join us on our journey!

Jessica & Bryce






No comments:

Post a Comment