Saturday, September 15, 2012

Halloween: Monster Bash 2011

This is the time of year that I spend my free time concocting another Halloween party. This is my favorite party to throw every year. Last year was a very successful party and I was pleased with the turn out. Due to the blog change, I have lost the opportunity to post the details. So, as I was looking back at past parties, I thought I would post a few of my favorite parts from last year... think of it as a little inspiration for the upcoming holiday... a teaser before the details unfold for this year's bash!

The "Monster Mash-tini" Bar:


We had a "Monster Mash-tinis" complete with the "spare parts" bar. Guests were served martini glasses filled with mashed potatoes. Everyone was then able to add whatever toppings they wanted and enjoy their "mash-tini". (hence, the spare parts...)



The spread also included a few... "Dreadful Edibles" including "Purina Wolf Chow" (Chex muddy buddies with candy corn and peanuts), Fruit "ninja bites" (fruit pizzas), a jello heart, and my mom's panna cotta brain.



Jell-o heart




Ninja bites


sorry for the terrible pictures...
The Bug Juice:
 This drink was my favorite of the night. Did you know that if you put a raisin (or in our case, raspberry crasins) into a carbonated beverage it will rise to the top and sink to the bottom? It was way fun to watch! I used the Berry 7-up that was purple and plopped them in. The picture doesn't do it justice... 


Activity: Haunted House contest:
We decided to hold a graham cracker haunted house contest! Entry into the contest was a bag of a candy you could use to decorate with. We provided the graham crackers and the royal icing. 






Activity: Pumpkin Bowling
We also had our traditional pumpkin bowling lane set up in the carport. Small, round pumkins work best when using water bottles as the pins. I make sure to have a few extra... the first usually get pretty smashed. We have also used a fake pumpkin I buy at Michael's. (though, that too ended up in pieces...)
Tip: glow sticks in the water bottles made them easier to see.




Costume Contest:
Everyone placed a vote for their favorite house, as well as their favorites for Creepiest, Cutest, and Most Creative costumes. Awards were presented and the party ended with a movie (Ghostbusters) for those who wanted to stay for the after-party (the clean up...). 

we won the office "best family theme" prize at Bryce's work. just FYI.
one more, just because it makes me smile... :)

2 comments:

  1. Love these posts! I'm helping with the ward Halloween party and Shannon, Kamarie & I were talking about you guys during the meeting and we were all like "they should come to our Halloween party!!" but then Shannon said you probably were busy because Halloween is your favorite holiday... but if not you should totally come!! Also I love these ideas I think I'm going to have to steal some of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! The Halloween parties are always the best! It would be fun to drop by and see everyone. :) There's always room for another party! When is it? We'll be sure to add it to our calendar! :)

      Delete